IdP vs OP (WAS: RE: "Editors" Conference Call)

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Mon Nov 6 19:46:07 UTC 2006

I see both sides of this discussion.  I think John is correct that the
role of an OP really is not that different than that of SAML's IdP.  The
difference comes down to the trust model.  I certainly think reputation
networks will exist which rate OPs, RPs, users, etc and will ultimately
be needed for a technologies with "promiscuous trust models" to thrive
in a large scale.

I guess reading more of this is making me question if renaming IdP
really is the best thing to do in OpenID.  I think if anything we all,
as a larger community, should be working to bring OpenID and SAML closer
together versus driving them further apart.

--David