Making identities persistent?

Rowan Kerr rowan at standardinteractive.com
Wed Nov 1 16:59:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 11:33 -0500, John Kemp wrote:
> I think you need the ability for a user to change his identifier at the
> RP (as George notes below) and also at the IdP.

Isn't this was already covered in the spec? You accomplish this by
creating an HTML page on some website you control with a http-equiv meta
tag in it that points to your IdP. Then you use your own url as your
Identity, even though ultimately the data is pulled from the IdP.

So if you ever want to change IdP's you simply update your html page
with the new server. And your Identifier never needs to change.

> In addition, it should
> be possible for the IdP to providing OpenID "forwarding" if the user
> leaves for another IdP (perhaps the user will even pay for a forwarding
> service?)

Is there anything against an IdP implementing the "delegate" feature to
forward to a different server?

-Rowan