[OpenID] OpenID IPR Policy Draft

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Thu Dec 21 19:27:05 UTC 2006

So just circling back on this, summarizing the key points I saw from the
discussion.

1) We can't directly take the IPR Policy from a SDO (such as the W3C)
and use it verbatim.  Those policies are tied to the specific SDO's
policies and procedures which we'd also have to adopt in order to be
useful.
2) The trigger for disclosure has to be active, not passive.
3) Just requiring issuance of a license is not strong enough to support
Open Source implementations.  Rather needs to be worded along the lines
of "a unilateral license or covenant of non-assertion (etc) that does
not require affirmative action on the part of the licensee".
Microsoft's Open Specification Promise is viewed by members of the IETF
community as the clearest expression of this.
5) The OpenID community could theoretically patent its own work to
prevent someone else from trying to claim the invention.

I miss anything?

--David