[OpenID] OpenID IPR Policy Draft

Aldo Castañeda aldo at stodid.com
Fri Dec 8 17:07:49 UTC 2006

List members,

With permission from Lawrence Rosen <http://www.rosenlaw.com/rosen.htm>, I'm
copying some of his comments that
he posted to the IETF's IPR Working Group mailing list in the last few days.
I'm
doing so for two reasons:

1. As everybody considers what approach is best with regard to IPR, I think
Mr.
Rosen's views (as far as I'm concerned he has a sterling reputation among
"open"
advocates") are at a minimum worthy of consideration.

2. I've asked Larry to participate in a podcast on this subject and although
he and
I haven't worked out all the details yet he has agreed to participate and
I'd like to
know if anyone on this list might like to participate in the podcast "live"
or submit
questions for me to ask him?

/Start Lawrence Rosen's Comments to IETF-IPR-WG

Far more important is the goal that IETF specifications, even the
"examples," can be implemented with equal rights and conditions in both
proprietary and open source software and documentation.

As you know, I'm a strong supporter of open source. But when it comes to
*open standards*, I believe we have a broader responsibility to be free for
all--without a share-alike license that disadvantages proprietary software.

That is why, for a patent covenant, I support the Microsoft Open
Specification Promise as the clearest expression yet of this principle. IETF
should demand similar covenants today from other patent-owning companies for

free implementation of patented technology in IETF industry standards--in
both open source and proprietary software.

And that is also why, for a copyright grant, I recommend a license such as
AFL 3.0, which grants a license to everyone (for both text and code!)
conditioned only upon fair attribution and the retention of defensive rights
in the event of patent or copyright litigation.

Of course, when someone implements an IETF specification, he or she can
*then* choose to distribute that implementation under a share-alike license.

I'll cheer that decision! I may even recommend, as do Linux standards
organizations and other open source projects, that the GPL-licensed software
become a model implementation against which others are judged. :-) But
that's very different from contaminating IETF specifications with code or
text that some companies can't or won't be able to use.

/End Lawrence Rosen's Comments to IETF-IPR-WG