Comments on Auth 2.0 - Pre-Draft 11

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Tue Dec 12 17:10:19 UTC 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 16:41, Johnny Bufu wrote:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> Josh and I went through the remaining issues, so I have addressed
> and/or commented on some of them below.
>
> For easier tracking I've inserted [josh] after the ones that Josh
> agreed to handle.

Looking forward to Josh's input.

Some comments on the "closed" and non-Josh issues.

>> When a message is sent as a POST, OpenID parameters MUST only be
>> sent in and processed from the POST body.

That works, good idea.

>>> My opinion is that specifying a language is out of scope for the
>>> spec; it's up to the RP/OP to choose it. Being unstructured text,
>>> I assume it's intended to be passed (eventually) to a human
>>> behind the party receiving it.
>>
>> My point is that you "assume" and I "assume" and it would be good
>> if we all assumed the same. Which is why I'm proposing to at least
>> put a SHOULD in there for that assuming.
>
> Josh and I agreed that the language should not be specified, and be
> left to RPs / OPs to choose the one that is most useful for their
> users. We have edited it and it now reads:
>
>> A human-readable message indicating the cause of the error.

I think this is better, but it opens it up to the argument from the
i18n community that this won't work -- and justly so. Which is why I
said that the target audience is only developers, not end users.

> Rephrased a bit, so that the intent is clearer; it now reads:
>
>> The realm SHOULD be used by OPs to uniquely identify Relying
>> Parties. For example, OPs MAY use the realm to allow the end user
>> to automate approval of authentication requests.

>> Resolution?
>
> Not sure what exactly you meant by "doing something else than the
> realm they give".

We had a discussion somewhere some time about whether or not what's
now called "realm" has any security properties. We came to the
conclusion that there was no way for anybody to enforce "realm" and
thus it was only to be used as an informational message to the end
user. For example, the specified realm could be "example.com/foo/bar"
but what the RP does is "*.example.com".

My comment was meant to suggest this could be added here.

>> Resolution?
>
> I'll try to rephrase the three paragraphs in there. In the
> meantime, it would help if you could point what you found the most
> confusing.

I'm just raising the "General Confusion Fault" ;-) That might just be
me, however.