OpenID IPR Policy Draft

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Thu Dec 7 18:19:41 UTC 2006

Why not just take the W3C IPR policy verbatim and change the organization name?

The W3C patent policy is I believe released under creative commons for precisely this reason if not this can easily happen. The agreement was subscribed to by all the major vendors and the major open source groups.

Unless someone wants to incorporate proprietary technology that they are not willing to release the rights to as required by the W3C terms this is a debate we don't need to have.

Ideally the Apache, Mozilla, OASIS, W3C and IETF IPR WGs would get together and devise an industry standard acceptable to both Open Source and proprietary vendors. The introduction of suspense licenses means that it is not unthinkable that they would reach a common set of terms.