[OpenID] Mailing List etiquette question.

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 21:11:44 UTC 2006

the general etiquete is to avoid me-too posts.  Another general rule is that
general rules are superceded by specific rules.  When the question is a show
of support or opposition to a proposal, brief yea/nays from all are acceptable.

The question of what to think of the silence following a substantial post to
a list -- was it so good that there was nothing to add, or was it so bad that
it was not worth pointing that out? -- is known as "Warnock's Dilemma"
after Brian Warnock, who succinctly described it on a perl 6 discussion list
in 2000.  (ever since I seem to be evangelizing the term, having gotten it
listed in Wired Jargon Watch for instance)

Warnock's dilemma is very similar, in human behavior terms, to the aspects
of human nature that allow all passerby to not intervene in ongoing violence
in urban settings, for instance.  There's a term for that too but it's been too
many years since I took that psychology course.

--
perl -le'1while(1x++$_)=~/^(11+)\1+$/||print'