[Openid-specs-risc] [RISC] Agenda for call (9:30am PDT)

Phil Hunt phil.hunt at oracle.com
Mon Apr 3 15:07:59 UTC 2017

I’m not going to say much on the call. I will say that as co-author of the individual contribution for the distribution spec that we are at an impasse.

The problem is summed up as follows:

1. There are many profiling standards groups all intending to share the spec.

- SCIM which originated SECEVENTs does not need a control-pane because it is the control pane. Therefore, endpoint discovery is already solved and they will not want a new protocol.
- RISC - while many members overlap SCIM members, others do not. They object to SCIM because it is a new protocol. I do not understand, but they seem to think a new protocol is simpler. RISC however seems to have the most complex data requirements in order to handle consent management.

- OpenID Connect had already decided they were doing their own protocol to align with connect (this is being debated)

Currently I do not see a possible consensus for common management of distribution endpoints.

2.  Enterprise vs. Consumer - Strong push back on supporting multi-tenancy and RBAC style administration. Concepts like monitoring by shared security centers vs. individual event transmissions per enterprise customer.  In short, orgs with enterprise customers have complex legal and administrative issues that must be accounted for.

There is no consensus on administration.

3.  IETF and Old vs New - During the chartering, members of the IESG raised strong objection to new management protocols. The IETF has too many now. In particular there was upset about NETCONF not being used.  Yaron has continued to raise this issue.  Others I respect also raised concern at yet another pub-sub protocol and are perplexed at this WG’s efforts.  We must address this.  One way is to profile existing specifications rather than invent.

This suggests a long uphill climb to publication.

Conclusion:

I’ve tried to warn the community but these impasses remain. Unless the group aligns strongly in it consensus on a solution, it is likely the work will end or not move forwards.

I do not believe that endless re-writes of the drafts will fix the underlying problems. We are shifting deck-chairs and bike shedding. Pick an analogy.

I admit, I’ve pushed too hard on this and the issues have now been attributed to me.  As a result, I plan to take myself out of the equation and let the group simply resolve the problem on its own.

Best Regards,

Phil

Oracle Corporation, Identity Cloud Architect & Standards
@independentid
www.independentid.com <http://www.independentid.com/>phil.hunt at oracle.com <mailto:phil.hunt at oracle.com>