[Openid-specs-risc] Fwd: Notes from Today

Adam Dawes adawes at google.com
Fri Feb 17 05:19:20 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Thanks to Adam Stiles for compiling notes from today's F2F and to everyone
who participated. I think the discussion was very rich and we've got some
greater alignment on terminology and some clearer issues that we need to
work out wrt bootstrapping streams and the control plane.

We also agreed that there would be more extensive F2F within Security
Events at IETF around the above issues and that we would have a mega RISC
F2F May 4-5 at the tail of IIW with a dinner on May 4. I'll send out more
details on those later but please save the date if you would like to attend.

Here is my summary of the conversation:

Adam's Deck: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1odqjN8mSyFxKCh
Lh46sydRk9uEsjZEB9RUhTW9V1lLs/edit?usp=sharing

Phil's Deck (attached)

Agreed upon (I hope) terminology and basic behavior:

   - Explicit Relying Party
   Relying party to an IDP such that the user account security is reliant
   on SSO technology like OAuth, OpenID Connect.
   - Implicit Relying Party
   Relying party to an IDP through a side channel account recovery process
   via email for email identifiers and SMS/Call for phone numbers.
   - RISC Authority
   A service provider where the compromise of an account at that service
   will directly open up Relying Parties to attack for the same account. For
   Explicit Relying Parties, the Identity Provider is the RISC Authority. For
   Implicit Relying Parties, the mailbox provider is the RISC Authority. For
   Implicit RPs, determining how to become a RISC Receiver involves looking at
   DNS to find a record that indicates if a mail service is used and then the
   RP would sign up for a stream with that provider.
   - RISC Receiver
   A service provider that registers to receive SETs from another provider.
   The term is agnostic as to whether the Receiver is the RISC Authority or
   implicit/explicit RP though the more common case will be when the Reciever
   is a Relying Party. RISC receivers are responsible for registering config
   info to receive events at any given transmitter.
   - RISC Transmitter
   A service provider that sends SETs to other providers. The term is
   agnostic as to whether the Receiver is the RISC Authority or
   implicit/explicit RP though the more common case will be when the Reciever
   is a Relying Party. The transmitter is responsible for offering a way for
   the Receiver to register to receive events. The Transmitter should also
   document Stream configuration information.
   - Stream
   The Stream establishes the data plane between the two parties and only
   flows in one direction. It also represents the bootstrapping configuration
   information that enables the Transmitter to send events to the Receiver. A
   service provider may choose to establish multiple Streams with a
   Transmitter in order to support decentralization or tenancy. The group is
   still discussing whether or not the Stream should be configurable via API
   or managed via SCIM.
   - Event family
   The set of SETs that can flow over the data plane. Transmitters should
   document which RISC event types it plans to publish and allow Recievers to
   specify exactly which events it wants to receive to enable limit sharing of
   data.
   - Subject
   The subject around which the event occurred. For most RISC cases this
   will be the user, as specified with a public identifier like email address
   or phone number.
   - Subscribe/Subscription
   The action of a Receiver requesting to add a Subject to the Stream. This
   forms the control plane for the Stream. The subscription action is intended
   largely for Implicit Relying Parties because Explicit Relying Parties are
   self-documenting. When a Receiver subscribes to receive events on a subject
   the Transmitter can provide a response that indicates it would also like to
   subscribe to events from Receiver for the same user.