[Openid-specs-risc] RISC Agenda for today

Henrik Biering hb at peercraft.com
Sun May 3 11:48:39 UTC 2015

Here is my tentative elaboration on our options regarding the EU
Dataprotection Regulation.

Also IANAL, but I have agreement from at least one legal privacy expert
for a meeting to get a professional opinion on the musings below. When I
have this, I will post any relevant findings to the RISC list.

The drafts for the upcoming EU Data Protection Regulation increasingly
consider the providers common responsibility to conceive and implement
measures to raise the bar for security related incidents which may
affect their users. Service providers may face accountability and severe
financial sanctions if data breaches can be attributed to not using new
technologies that are available at reasonable cost.

When comparing this to our charter, draft press release, and group
discussions, I think the most obvious argument for the processing is:
* Art. 6(c) processing is necessary for compliance with a legal
obligation to which the controller is subject;

Using the "legitimate interests that may overide the interests of the
user" approach (6f) will probably cause much more worry (e.g. suspicion
of profiling) with users and authorities. It also involves extended
requirements for user notifications and complaint handling.

As I see it, the legal obligations relevant to our use cases are
primarily based on:

* Art. 22(1,3): Obligations of the controller
* Art. 23(1): Data Protection by design and by default
* Art. 30: Security of processing
(= extension of the current 1995 DP Directive Article 17)
... as regards the prevention of fraudulous access to accounts

* Art. 5(d): Principles relating to personal data processing
(= the current 1995 DP Directive Article 6(d))
... as regards ensuring that data that are not up-to-date, valid or
appropriate (such as email addresses, phone numbers, passwords) can be
erased or updated/replaced

The new regulation also adds other articles that may be relevant for our
work, such as

* Art. 24: Joint Controllers
... covering the cooperation of two or more collaborating data controllers

* Art. 33: Data Protection Impact Assessment
... which is more or less a formalized writeup and assessment of the
arguments provided by Adam and others for taking the initiative to start
this WG. It will be the starting point (w/wo RISC), if we should decide
to submit our recommendations and specs as an "EU code of conduct".

* Art. 38: Codes of conduct
... on how EU data protection authorities shall encourage associations
and other bodies representing categories of controllers or processors to
prepare "codes of conduct" for measures and procedures to ensure (e.g.)
security of processing. Such codes of conduct shall be submitted to a
(national) supervisory authority for review. If the processing involves
several EU Member States, the supervisory authority shall forward the
proposal to the European Data Protection Board for approval and publication.

For anyone interested, a link to the latest Draft Data Protection
Regulation is here:
http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-15395-2014-INIT/en/pdf
The existing specific e-Privacy Directive will remain in force along
with the new regulation, but basically they will be very well aligned as
regards our purposes (security):
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32002L0058&from=EN

/Henrik