[Openid-specs-risc] RISC Agenda for today

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:40:01 UTC 2015

>From the privacy regulation point of view, each region has its limits.
I am not a lawyer and the following is not a legal advice but just a
general comment, but it may be a useful view. The privacy regulation
situation may be better than you think.

In case of EU, we could justify the sharing of the data through the
conditions of processing of EU Directive and the forthcoming regulation.
There are handful of those conditions, but for our case, we could tap
specifically into these:

   - The processing is necessary:
   - in relation to a contract which the individual has entered into; or
      - because the individual has asked for something to be done so they
      can enter into a contract.
   - The processing is in accordance with the “legitimate interests”
   condition.

*The Processing is necessary* -- It is probably reasonable to assume that
the user and the relying party has entered into a relation that the user
expects safeguarding of his account at the relying party. To fulfill it, if
the relying party regards it is important to share that information with
the email or identity provider, it may do so accordingly. The provider side
is a little more tricky but as long as the provider has been notified by
the relying party, and relying party was *deemed trustworthy*, then it
would probably be reasonable to think that sharing the account status
information with the said relying party is reasonably expected as necessary
for executing the safeguarding expectation by the user.

*Legitimate interest* -- alternatively, we can flip and use legitimate
interest as long as we can determine that the benefit that the services
obtain is not unreasonable compared to the privacy impact to the user. In
this case, we could say that it is a legitimate interest of the services
and providers to safeguard the accounts and the negative privacy impact
caused by it is minimal because we only share the "signal" etc.

In the United States, since the legal restrictions are sector specific, we
may need to treat each sector accordingly. This can be a bit more tricky,
but it could be done. This administration's thinking, as I read from the
recent Privacy Bill of Rights proposal, the sharing of the information for
the security related purpose is exempt from general restriction. So, we may
want to leverage that.

In Japan, we are a bit out of luck in this respect, but we may be able to
come up with something through the consultation to the data protection
authority.

Cheers,

Nat @ Kuching, Malaysia

Nat Sakimura (=nat)