[Openid-specs-native-apps] Notes from Apr 1 NAAPS Call

Mike Varley mike.varley at securekey.com
Wed Apr 2 12:56:12 UTC 2014

I was on mute for the call, so I didn't get to elaborate on supporting apps that are not pre-registered at the App-Info endpoint. I believe this is an interesting use case, as it enables more 'open' ecosystems (that don't require pre-established trust points). "In a world..." where there is a general purpose TA on the device that can authenticate the user and release access tokens for various services, App developers are free to build enhanced / mashup services without requiring the user to go through OAuth flows for each service.

This may be a bit like UMA where a user defines a profile of data that can be accessed by third parties.

A simple flow may be:

(1)    General purpose TA on mobile collects account authorizations for the user, and stores the refresh tokens and endpoints.

a.       Could be done through the TA on demand (when a service is requested) or

b.      Could be done by Apps that share data by sending access tokens to the TA at the user's request...

(2)    User installs a new App, 'Happy Heart', which asks the TA for tokens for FriendBook (social), and FitnessOnline (online heart rate tracking/graphing/calorie counting).

(3)    User is asked by TA "do you authorize access to FriendBook and FitnessOnline for the App Happy Heart?" - user consents

(4)    User (selects a profile/ accounts at FriendBook to share) authenticates to the TA

(5)    TA obtains refresh/access tokens for the Happy Heart App and returns them.

(6)    Happy Heart App   is able to access the FriendBook and FitnessOne services.

Rather than a Trusted / Registered App ecosystem, trust is left in the hands of the user and the resource servers - the TA just stores account authorizations and App consent. This is a trusted convenience for users as their cloud presence grows, and Apps wish to make use of more and more cloud services for a user.

Feedback more than welcome - a lot of detail was glossed over ;)

Thanks,

MV