[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Issue 52 CIBA Pairwise Identifiers Structuring Text

Manger, James James.H.Manger at team.telstra.com
Fri Jun 9 00:01:56 UTC 2017

> My hope was that by making sector_identifier_uri mandatory we would get rid of all the special cases with jwks_uri and whatnot.
> Isn’t that true?

No.

> So if someuses CIBA then there MUST be a siu at registration time and CIBA does not care how that is validated.
> Making my life too easy?

Wishful thinking, Axel ;)

An OP needs proof that an app is entitled to use a sector_id before revealing the subs associated with that sector_id.
A new app merely quoting a sector_id in its registration is not proof. It shows the app wants that sector_id, but it doesn’t show that the other apps using that sector_id want to share subs with this new app. It doesn’t prevent a malicious app quoting another group’s sector_id.

So the content at a sector_identifier_uri needs to identity each app that is entitled to use that sector_id (host part of siu). It does so by listing a URI that each app needs to control to operate. For “normal” OIDC an app’s redirect_uri is sufficient; for CIBA with notifications an app’s client_notification_endpoint is sufficient; for CIBA with polling and asymmetric signatures an app’s jwks_uri is sufficient; for other cases the tuple {iss, client_id} could work.

Hence CIBA needs to add that, at registration, the OP needs to confirm that siu lists client_notification_endpoint (to enabling notifications) or jwks_uri (to enabling polling with asym sigs).

--
James Manger