[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] [E] CIBA - Backchannel Authentication Endpoint and OIDC request object endpoint

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Fri May 12 06:06:50 UTC 2017

The CEBA spec requires client authentication at the token endpoint.   That could include JWT authentication.

There is a alternate proposal using a signed JWT to the token endpoint in the JWT assertion flow.

It may be that the OAuth JAR is a compromise between the two.

We have the question of why HTTP basic authentication is bad and should asymmetric authentication more in line with FAPI’s requirements for banks authentication of clients be required.

If in the discussion today there is agreement that the request should be a signed JWT, then the finer points of what endpoint it is posted to and what is returned can be considered.

Performance is a concern.

I think the goal is to have one POST by the client that returns a artifact for polling, or triggers a post back.

Fitting request by JAR into that may not be a perfect fit for flow as it currently requires a redirect of the user to the authorization endpoint with the artifact.   In the backchannel the extra call wont have any value.

A possibility is to have a new backchannel authorization endpoint like the device flow, but require the authorization request to be a JAR, and skip the separate client authentication.    It would then return a artifact for polling or the IdP postback.

Lets see how the conversation goes today.

John B.