[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Minor tweaks to spec sources

Manger, James James.H.Manger at team.telstra.com
Wed Mar 8 01:16:39 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

>  Per your request to point the working group page to https://id.cto.telstra.com/public/openid-connect-account-porting-1_0.html, you may not be aware that the OpenID Foundation IPR procedures require that OpenID specifications be developed on foundation-controlled infrastructure.  Therefore, I need to request that the official copies of spec work currently happening on the Telstra host be moved to one of https://bitbucket.org/openid/mobile, https://github.com/openid, or http://svn.openid.net/, so that future contributions happen on OpenID Foundation infrastructure.  (It's of course fine to have local private copies that you do editing in, but no public references should be made to those copies.)

I would much prefer an openid.net URL pointing to the latest Account Porting .html file in the Bitbucket repo.
The spec work is done on foundation-controlled infrastructure - namely at https://bitbucket.org/openid/mobile/.
The Telstra link is solely because bitbucket seems unable to server an .html as a web page to a browser.

Some other MODRNA WG<http://openid.net/wg/mobile/> specs use xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org links (also not foundation-controlled infrastructure) to dynamically convert .xml from the repo to .html, eg OpenID User Questioning API<https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?Submit=Submit&format=ascii&mode=html&type=ascii&url=https://bitbucket.org/openid/mobile/raw/tip/draft-user-questioning-api.xml>. But that doesn't work properly for the Account Porting spec as it includes a .png image.

The HEART WG<http://openid.net/wg/heart/> page uses links such as http://openid.bitbucket.org/HEART/openid-heart-oauth2.html, but they all seem to be broken.

The FAPI WG<http://openid.net/wg/fapi/> links to markdown (.md) version of the specs directly in the repo. This seems to work well as Bitbucket displays markdown properly.

Some WGs use openid.net/specs/ links. That looks perfect, but I assume this requires manual action (eg by the WG chair) to update every time a change is committed to the repo - an overhead & delay I really want to avoid.

If openid.net can server .html that is automatically pulled from the foundation-controlled repo whenever there is a commit (or, say, every 15 min as an approximation) then I'll use that. Even better if it can pull the repo and runs the repo's build script to create the .html from the .xml and .uml.

I could try to switch from.xml to .md (markdown), which Bitbucket can display nicely. I'm not sure how easy or hard that is, nor whether Bitbucket will display a .png from the repo when showing a .md.

Until then I hope a Telstra link for the latest repo version ("editor's copy") isn't perceived as subverting the IPR procedures.

P.S. There are a lot of broken links to hg.openid.net and openid.bitbucket.org on the WG pages.

--
James Manger