[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] OP generated binding_message

charles.marais at orange.com charles.marais at orange.com
Wed Nov 30 22:43:15 UTC 2016

Hi Axel,

My comments on the difference Use Cases you evoked:
===========
"1)      the call center agents trigger the CIBA request using the
MSISDN they see on their telephone. Their Backend is then using
client_id/client_secret to authenticate to the OP and CIBA delivers the
id_token to the RP with further user claims."

=> OK, I understand your point which can be extended to "get an
accessToken" to access User Resources. But some question should be
raised in this context, if a consent is needed (which is generally not
described in OpenID Connect specifications) to share user infos, the
user would probably be sollicited on his mobile Hanset already used for
the current communication with the call center...
===========
"2)      The Bank clerk might know some account number of their costumer
which the bank backend translates into a iss/sub data (whatever) because
there is an account number to iss/sub relationship that the bank has
learned from another interaction of the customer with the Bank’s system.
There might be an access token from that earlier interaction that the RP
(Bank) uses to authentication the CIBA request."

=> I don't understand the last part of your example "There might be an
access token from that earlier interaction that the RP (Bank) uses to
authentication the CIBA request.", What do you mean by this ? In my
understanding CIBA does not describe a resource server protected by an
access token.
===========
"-          Polish policeman (PP) wants to check driver’s license which
the driver has not present
-          PP logs into government website (RP) and enters drivers
mobile number
-          RP sends CIBA to OP which sends request to AD
binding_message=”PP Szydło wants to check your driver’s license”
-          OP sends binding_message to RP which is shown to PP too.
-          User sees message “PP Szydło wants to check your driver’s
license”, checks Name PP’s device and consents
-          OP notifies RP of consent
-          RP retrieves driver’s picture and validity data of licence
from its DB
-          RP sends data to PP who compares the picture and now knows
the validity of the driver’s license without giving away too much data"

=> In my understanding, binding_message is not designed for that king of
purpose. binding_message has been described to provide a way to
interlock (pair) two screens (or 2 channels) the authentiation device
and the consumption device or channel (binding_message could be revealed
by an RP operator on phone for example).

The use case you proposed is a typical Use case for which User
Questioning has been written :
     - One RP wants to ask a question to a user ("PP Szydło wants to
check your driver’s license <do you agree ?>") and to get the user's
answer in order to take a decision ("RP retrieves driver’s picture and
validity data of licence from its DB" and "RP sends data to PP").

In my understanding, CIBA is not intented to be used :
- to question the user
- to get the user's answer to a specific question

BR,

Charles.