[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Account Migration - move vs. link

Torsten.Lodderstedt at telekom.de Torsten.Lodderstedt at telekom.de
Thu Oct 6 06:28:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

in Paris we had an extensive discussion about the semantics of the migration. We came up with the consensus that there two use cases move and link:
-       Move: all federated ids of a OP account (or parts of it, e.g. the "Mobile Connect" account) are moved to the new OP and deleted at the old OP. The user won't be able to login to the respective RPs with the old OP account afterwards (except it registers again with the RPs). The lifecycle of the OP account is left at the discretion of the old OP.
-       Link: all federated ids of a OP account (or parts of it, e.g. the "Mobile Connect" account) are _copied_ to the new OP. So the user will be able to login to the respective RPs with both OP accounts, at the old and the new OP.

We learned the Mobile Connect expectation is that the Mobile Connect portion of the old OP account is deleted during (or as result of) the migration. So our spec needs to support this use case.

The following questions are still not yet decided:
-       Shall the spec also support "link"?
-       If so, who decides whether an account is moved or linked?

Please state your opinion on this topic within the next week so we can come to a consensus about this topic.

Thanks in advance,