[Openid-specs-igov] Review comments on openid-igov-openid-connect-1_0-03

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Fri Nov 30 18:04:49 UTC 2018

Hi all,

here are my comments:

section 4.2. aims at defining a minimal data set for cross-jurisdiction authentication. I’m not convinced this objective is fulfilled by the current proposal.

"profile … It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that the attributes for given_name, family_name, address, birthdate be supported by iGov Providers“

In Germany identifying a person requires given name, family name, birthdate and place of birth. So at least one element is missing + address does not qualify for a minimal dataset.

I think the design of the „doc" scope and the corresponding claims needs more work.

1) all claims are supposed to be added as top level elements of the user info/ID Token. I assume this will cause name clashes, esp. for very general field names like „type“. I suggest to consider to introduce a name space and/or put the claims into a JSON object structure.

2) I suggest to add a list of potential values of the type field.

3) Based on my own experience, I would also suggest to make the doc type a composite field containing a country identifier, serving as namespace, and the actual doc type. Otherwise, semantically not identical documents with the same name will be mixed up. Potentially, issuer_location could server the same purpose, but I’m not sure.

kind regards,
Torsten.