[Openid-specs-igov] Regarding the vote on Implementer’s Drafts of Two iGov Specifications

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Sep 11 18:42:40 UTC 2017

The section of iGov that refers to VOT basically provides a processing rule that if you receive it then it overrides the ACR value.  The values are defined in external profiles such as the one NIST is working on:
https://github.com/usnistgov/800-63-3/blob/volume-d/sp800-63d/vot_mapping.md

In the NIST case it is string with three elements like a scopes in OAuth 2.

I do think we need to expand the processing rules for that.  What happens if you ask for IAL2 with AAL2 and FAL1, but the IdP can has only proofed the user to IAL 1?  Do you error or return the best you can do.

If we use the VOT encoding or something else we should still address those issues.

John B.