[Openid-specs-igov] Regarding the vote on Implementer’s Drafts of Two iGov Specifications

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Sep 11 18:20:41 UTC 2017

NIST is responsible for NIST standards and is mappoing SP800-63-3 to VOT.
I am guessing there will be multiple profiles of VOT.

Yes in the next version we should be more careful about using the term standard.   Outside the IETF anything with a RFC number tends to get refers to as a standard.

We should really be talking about profiles of VOT rather than VOT.

I am not opposed to changing the track for VOT, it dosent necessarily  need to be in a WG to be standards track.

I agree that to communicate the NIST defined vectors we need something other than Authentication Context Class Reference (ACR), that is probably why NIST is profiling VOT.

IGov can’t ignore what NIST is doing, even if VOT is an experimental ID.

In another thread Justin sent you a link to the section of SP-800-63-3 part D relating to the VOT mapping.
https://github.com/usnistgov/800-63-3/blob/volume-d/sp800-63d/vot_mapping.md <https://github.com/usnistgov/800-63-3/blob/volume-d/sp800-63d/vot_mapping.md>

I think this shows that people can profile VOT.   That is one of the things the document shepherd has been looking for existence proofs of before advancing the ID to the IESG.

I recommend that you join the next iGov call and we can hash out your concerns.

John B,