[Openid-specs-igov] feedback on current pull request

Mike Varley mike.varley at securekey.com
Tue Mar 21 12:39:42 UTC 2017

Here is SecureKey's feedback on Paul's current version(s) of the specs. (note I believe some of the corrections I point out are on content I originally authored... So ...)

If we accept Paul's pull request I would be happy to help with some of the edits.

I may not be able to make today's call, but I think Dmitry Schupak should be there - and I will follow up on the list.

Thanks all.

MV

OAuth 2.0 Spec
==============
Abstract:
   " specifically applicable to (but not limited to) consumer-to-government deployments." (wording change)

Intro
  " informed by the HEART..." -> influenced?
  extra "."

2.1.1
  - recommend line break of response Location and GET request (legibility)
  - would like to add EC to the required list of supported algorithms... is there a reason not to?  The reason to (possibly) require this is for better mobile support?

2.1.3.3
  - "This client type MUST NOT be used by any iGov use case." move to top.

2.1.3.4
  - "This client type MUST NOT be used by any iGov use case." move to top.

2.1.4
  - contradicts 2.1.3.2: "must use either..."
  - prefer to allow static configuration as well, even for native clients - current language is too restrictive and requires dynamic registration.

3.1.3
  - client_credentials grant type not defined in section 2?

3.1.3
  - "Authorization servers MUST signal to end users that a client was dynamically registered
     on the authorization screen. " -> don't know what this means. An example would help clarify what is expected from the AuthZ
      server, and why the message to the end user is important

3.1.5
  - "MUST provide a discovery endpoint" -- are we making dynamic registration a requirement? Why?

3.2.2
  - example scope - maybe update to egov use example (no 'medications')

OIDC Profile
============

2.1
  - vtr and acr_values? why both?  And to clarify, what is a server to do if both values are present in a request?
     Why would a client use one over the other? Etc...  (we support the use of vot)

2.3 and 3.1 are different
  - maybe add REQUIRED and OPTIONAL to 3.1
  - vot definition missing

3.2
  - need to require an EC algorithm? (again, better support on native clients...?)

3.3
  - should we define the (minimum or recommended) content that is signed in a request object?
  - need to define REQUIRED algorithm like token request?
  - "must accept request objects signed with the client's public key" (server's -> client's)

3.4 + 3.5
  - need more guidence around acr/amr/vot. How do we use and process these? What is their relationship,
     and how does a server/client make use of these values if they are all present, possibly contradictory?

3.6.1
  - do we need to add something to JWA? where is an appropriate place to descibe PBKDF2 + scrypt + bcrypt
  - PBKDF2 is in the JWA doc (somewhere) so should we make this the baseline REQUIRED and then worry about the others as needed?

4.2
  - should we add REQUIRED OPTIONAL OPTIONAL on these additional scopes?
  - at their current high level, are these definitions useful? (i.e., I think we either add clearer definitions here, or remove them)