[Openid-specs-heart] HEART profiling for sensitive data

Aaron Seib aaron.seib at nate-trust.org
Sat Mar 25 19:12:18 UTC 2017

Thanks John – and to build on your statement about the service getting “…sensitive topics from a Healthcare organization, or might get them from the Patient; possibly both.”

I would add that experience has shown that adoption by Provider Organizations without an Authoritative list of what is sensitive in relation to a specific regulatory set of conditions (think of a HIPAA transaction for Treatment Purposes) has been hard to engender.  My perception is that the law has given no agency the authority to constrain liability (protect the Provider Organization that subscribes to a list of codes representing sensitive topics when that list is defective either sharing too much or sharing too little) for the Provider Organizations that use sanctioned LOVs and basically anything that has been published to date is “use at your own risk”.

That said – if we can figure out how to properly capture and persist the sensitivity tags of the consumer my perception is that the discloser who does so is not liable.  Of course this relies on the consumer being able to tag things themselves and have the literacy to do so without inadvertent consequences (their failing to recognize that a Prescription they didn’t mark as sensitive essentially tells literate users that they have a specific condition that the consumer didn’t want to disclose).

I am not advocating that LOVs that help people set their preferences don’t have value.  I am asserting that such lists alone are insufficient and for their intended purpose.

Aaron

Aaron Seib, CEO

@CaptBlueButton

 (o) 301-540-2311