[Openid-specs-heart] What is Health Data?

Glen Marshall [SRS] gfm at securityrs.com
Fri Jan 20 19:10:21 UTC 2017

In our discussion this past week we did not drill-down on use cases about sharing data from personal health data collection devices, e.g., Fitbit or environmental activity monitors, or medically prescribed devices, e.g., Holter monitors.  In the case of medically prescribed monitors, the data they collect is clearly health data.  On the other hand, data on personal wearable devices only becomes medical data when it is shared for that purpose.  Activity monitors are in-between, as they can be used in an non-medical assisted living setting or in medical long term care.

Where do we set the boundary between health data and other data?  What do we do when that boundary shifts, as it has for wearable devices over the last couple of decades?  What is the mechanism for granting permission for medical use when such devices lack a UX?  Are there existing policies for this, i.e., is it in scope for HEART, or should we make recommendations for policy development?

Glen F. Marshall
Consultant
Security Risk Solutions, Inc.
698 Fishermans Bend