[Openid-specs-heart] FHIR Client Registration is the existential issue for HEART

Aaron Seib aaron.seib at nate-trust.org
Fri Dec 16 21:33:20 UTC 2016

I love you my brother but you can’t drive just any car on the highways that you share with other Americans.

There are state inspections and limitations on what vehicles can be sold to the US market.  If I had my way no one would be able to drive around in a car that gets less than 30 mpg but I have to accept that it is lawful for the Ted Nugent guy that passes me on the highway to drive his yellow Hummer because the governance process authorizes that car to share the highway with me (and emergency response vehicles and the trades and everyone else).

But let me be clear – I don’t think this topic should be a parking lot issue for the entire country.  I think it is an issue that the HEART group should exclude as out of scope because we are not representative of the stakeholder groups that will be affected by our decisions and as a result will be ineffective in addressing this important – perhaps mandatory – element of an adoptable solution set that will result in a fabric that results in consumer directed exchange.

I just finished reading your article and I don’t think we are very far apart personally.  We need to be able to federate ID mgmt and establish a trust mechanism that facilitates this (NCCoE has started a new effort to look into doing just that) if we are to get to the next horizon of consumer access without spending another $30B to Identity proof everyone to the satisfaction of everyone else using traditional methods.

The recommendation of the API task force – that I was a part of – recommended that the credentials to enable API based transactions shouldn’t be any stronger than those that the institutions accept today when permitting consumers to access their portals.  These are rooted in the F2F encounter of the Patient and the Consumer but technically enabled by the institution.

Much of the current work going on in the country related to APIs relies on the bootstrapping of access based on a consumer authenticating into his or her portal.

A solution could be to figure out how we make it easier to “recycle” a consumer’s ability to authenticate into multiple portals in order to grant them access to a third.  I don’t know if that is remotely a realistic way to harness the antecedent Id proofing that occurs between an individual and their provider for use cases that have a broader scope then the ‘enterprise’ of that provider but there is an aspect of that idea that echoes you battle cry of relying on the extant trust and relationship of the patient and the caregiver.

At the end of the day my point is HEART isn’t the place to develop that kind of idea and the people that are participating – likely the greatest technical minds working in this domain – alone are not sufficient to solve it for all the stakeholders that have to buy in to make it work.

So – I agree with you – relegating these topics to the parking lot for HEART is not a satisfactory answer but having HEART develop a solution is not going to be satisfactory either.

In your article you reference Block Chain as a contender – Kathleen and I were just talking about that today as well and I saw a lot of merit in exploring that option too – my point is just that HEART isn’t the right home to develop this solution – it needs to be done by a much broader and inclusive group.

Aaron Seib, CEO

@CaptBlueButton

 (o) 301-540-2311

(m) 301-326-6843