[Openid-specs-heart] Alice's health resource set

Aaron Seib, NATE aaron.seib at nate-trust.org
Wed Aug 3 11:36:17 UTC 2016

I think this is conversation is anent to one that I just pinged Debbie about yesterday.

We all recognize that under HIPAA a CE isn’t required to get an authorization to share a patient’s PHI for TPO.

That is a historical norm, right?  Just because we have been there doesn’t mean we have to continue to live in the past.

I have felt like there has been this tension and fence riding about whether or not a Consumer’s Privacy Preferences can or should trump what a CE is permitted to do in relation to a permitted purpose.

I think what it comes down to is what the Provider puts into their Notice of Privacy Practices.  If in the NPP the provider says I will follow the directions of you AS for sharing purposes except for purposes of payment – let’s say – then I would argue that the patient has an expectation that their data from that provider not be shared with another provider – even though it is a permitted purpose under HIPAA.

Of course if the NPP says something like – regardless of what your AS indicates I am going to share with other providers who assert a treatment relationship because I can under HIPAA (sorry – sarcasm intended).

Just because I am allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Texas doesn’t mean I have to if I don’t think it is the right policy for me.

As a doc, if I believe the trust of my patients is as important as my ability to Diagnoses them accurately I might make it my policy to commit to following their AS directions.

Does anyone disagree with that?

Aaron Seib, CEO

@CaptBlueButton

 (o) 301-540-2311