[Openid-specs-heart] Notification in HEART and/or UMA

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Sun Jul 31 22:46:29 UTC 2016

In-line after the purple...

On Sunday, July 31, 2016, Aaron Seib, NATE <aaron.seib at nate-trust.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for responding in line.  I have added some commentary with a
> purple font.
>

> Aaron Seib, CEO
>
> @CaptBlueButton
>
>  (o) 301-540-2311
>
> (m) 301-326-6843
>
> [image: cid:image001.jpg at 01D10761.5BE2FE00] <http://nate-trust.org>
>

> *From:* agropper at gmail.com

there any transactions that are not accountable to you? Are there any
financial authorization servers that don't offer you notification in your
chosen in-box? Are there any limits on how much of your financial
authorizations services you can centralize in one single bank and
associated credit card account? Are there limits to what financial
authorization transactions you can centralize and control as cash in your
own wallet (there are many cash economies still around the world)?

The HEART authorization server can be as centralized and regulated as my
big bank account or as personal and jurisdiction-free as my wallet. The
services I do business with don't get to tell me which bank I can use or
what kind of wallet. The banks compete with my wallet to be my
authorization service. HEART will not succeed if it doesn't support that
"build, run, or outsource" competition to keep the regulated vendors and
outsources honest.

·         What does it mean to do so ‘in the FHIR Context’?

> FHIR is a standard for EHR interoperability. When a standard is available
> a service provider has the choice of using it or not. Email for example is
> an available standard but hospitals don't choose to use it even though the
> Office for Civil Rights has said unequivocally that patients have a right
> to request contact by plain insecure email. (There's still some kind of
> legal or regulatory challenge to be mounted on that front - but I digress.)
> Direct email was another standard that hospitals have chosen not to
> implement in a consumer-friendly way. Now we have the FHIR standard. We
> need to learn from our experience and the JASONs and the API Task Force and
> make sure that the FHIR implementations _can't_ discriminate between HIPAA
> covered endpoints and patient-controlled endpoints. If we make HEART work
> for patient-directed exchange and the hospitals pull another Direct
> maneuver, it needs to be obvious to the regulators and politicians.
>

> I am following you here too.  In the FHIR context meaning that the
> Consumer App is using the FHIR standard to support interoperability the
> same way that the EHRs are.
>
> [AG] Exactly. HEART must make any discrimination so obvious that it
becomes politically and publicly untenable.

> Next, I thought that this statement was very useful:  ‘When she (*Alice*)
> engages with a FHIR service provider as a patient Alice provides three
> pieces of information:
>
> ·         an identity
>
> ·         a notification address
>
> ·         a resource registration address
>
> I want to make sure I understand what you mean when you later describe a
> potentially ideal solution as ‘Alice to provide an identity that
> automagically links to her Notification and Authorization addresses.”
>
> If I am reading it correctly – I think you are asking if an email address
> supplied by Alice would be sufficient for the identity – I just want to
> make sure I understand the question.  If I am keeping up there would be
> some way that Alice associates this email address with her choice of
> Authorization server (that a FHIR based resource server could use to
> resolve her privacy preferences) and incidentally be where the FHIR based
> Resource Server would send notifications about the disclosures it made
> based on her privacy preferences found in the Authorization Server of her
> choice in association with the email address she chooses.
>
> Yes. It's a standard called WebFinger that is already in OpenID Connect.
> HEART can build on WebFinger. There are other identity-related standards we
> can consider if necessary.
>

> Ok – you this is another component I think – can we start from the
> position that no one outside of our tribe really understands how you could
> relate an email address to an OpenID Connect (what instance, server?).
> Somehow I give you the email address as a parameter and using WebFinger I
> can discover the other parameters I need to know about you to enable
> consumer directed exchange is all I would need.  Is WebFinger just an API –
> how does it know all this stuff?  Doesn’t there need to be a registration
> step somewhere along the line for WebFinger to discover the rest given my
> email address?
>
> [AG] Yes. You register lots of stuff like this. The US Postal Service does
this kind of stuff for you as does Google and your domain services
provider. The domain services provider is probably the best example of a
registrar that we all can use. I use Namecheap
https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration.aspx to register personal
.xyz domains for about $1 / year and Let's Encrypt
https://letsencrypt.org/ security
certificates are free. We're spending an average of $10,000 / person / year
on healthcare in the US. If people paid 1% of that to treat their personal
information with the respect we treat our financial information, that would
be $100 / year and a $30 Billion / year US business.

> Thank you – this would be the kind of detail that I think we could share
> with a folks like NATE’s members et al.
>
> I think HEART's patient-directed exchange is a huge opportunity for may of
> NATE's members. Somebody will need to make and sell those authorization
> servers :-)
>
> There is no reason to think that some of them wouldn’t if it would help
> their users get their data in a secure privacy preserving way.  That is all
> they have ever wanted to do.
>
> [AG] Most of NATE's members seem to think that Direct rent-seeking is
where they can add value and they're poisoning the interoperability commons
for everyone. It's very sad. I still chuckle at the head privacy lawyer at
ONC, telling one of the NATE's members to give up on Direct in front of a
huge public audience in DC.

Adrian