[Openid-specs-heart] New thread - What is in a clipboard resource set?

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Fri Jul 22 02:28:23 UTC 2016

Thanks Eve for sending around the various links and for bringing the WEDI
document
<http://www.wedi.org/docs/default-document-library/virtual-clipboard-definition-and-design-document.pdf?sfvrsn=0>
to our attention. It represents a good point of reference for how some of
the industry will consider adoption of HEART. I will use the WEDI
terminology for this comment.

The WEDI document does not mention the reality that there is zero adoption
of federated patient identity services in healthcare today. I think HEART
needs to consider how to ease the path to broad adoption of OpenID Connect
while also staying focused on our charter. I'm not sure how to interpret
what WEDI calls "External Security Services" (figure on p13 - b).
Presumably it's an OpenID Connect IDP? Since patient identity federations
don't exist yet and it's not clear who would govern such a federation, we
need to be careful about our IDP assumptions and federations in general.

The rest of the diagram on p13 is much easier to understand if we treat the
Application Services (purple) as just another instance of an External
Application Partner (yellow). All four blocks have an Inter-application
path (isn't this just FHIR?) and a Security Communication Path (isn't this
just OAuth and UMA?).

The Mobile App (green) is pretty clear. No matter what, we can assume that
we need a mobile secure element under control of a mobile UI. Per the WEDI
model, the Mobile App needs to be recognized by the (optional) IDP and what
WEDI calls the Application Security Services (orange).

The Application Security Services (orange) is the only one containing an
Authorization Service so it presumably maps into HEART. Regardless of the
fact that WEDI put a gray rectangle around this and the Application
Services block, HEART does not benefit from adopting this combination.
Doing so is unnecessary and might even violate our charter.

We can conclude that WEDI would support an UMA AS as the manager of the
Security Communication Path that controls FHIR-standard resource access.

First and foremost, IMHO, HEART needs to consider how we can drive adoption
of a patient-centered authorization service without forcing all of the
External Application Partners, including the Application Services block, to
worry about also federating with an IDP. In other words, HEART must be
clear whether we are asking the FHIR endpoints (PHR, EHR, Payer,
whatever...) to trust the AS regardless of whether an IDP is trusted as
well.

This post about WEDI might be a separate thread from whatever we mean by
virtual clipboard but I put it here first because WEDI's is the only
definition of a virtual clipboard that we've seen.

Adrian