[Openid-specs-heart] How do you define a resource set?

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Thu Jul 7 00:20:18 UTC 2016

Thanks to Debbie for digging into the precise UMA spec text
<https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/uma/rec-oauth-resource-reg-v1_0_1.html>
that's relevant for resource set and scope profiling; it's the spec called
"OAuth Resource Set Registration". This is one big area that's relevant for
us to profile for interoperability -- as Justin said:

*"...it’s up to the API definition (FHIR in our case) to decide what
actually goes into the sets themselves. It’s up to either the API
definition or a security profile (like what we’re doing here in HEART) to
define the mapping between scopes and resulting actions/data. But it’s
always up to the RS to enforce these."*

Because we're dealing with a standard API, and a standardized mechanism for
RS-AS interaction, but not (yet) a standard for resource set dividing lines
or scope semantics, that's where we/HEART come in.

If you look at Sec 2.1
<https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/uma/rec-oauth-resource-reg-v1_0_1.html#rfc.section.2.1>,
Resource Set Descriptions, the fields we could possibly populate in each
case of a standardized FHIR resource set for HEART/UMA are:

   - name
   - uri
   - type
   - scopes
   - icon_uri

Note that an RS registers a specific resource set in the context of a
specific resource owner (such as Alice), and the name and icon_uri fields
are meant to be UX hints for resource owner tasks such as setting policy.
The type field is related to the semantics of of resource set (that is, its
"class"). and its set of scopes (which are listed by reference) can
obliquely be seen as related to its semantics too.

The fields we could possibly populate in each case of a standardized scope
for HEART/UMA resource sets, as described in Sec 2.1.1, Scope Descriptions
<https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/uma/rec-oauth-resource-reg-v1_0_1.html#action-desc>,
are:

   - name
   - icon_uri

A few additional notes:

Scope descriptions in particular, while they don't have a type field on
them, were designed to be possible to reuse. If the scope string "called"
from a resource set description is a URL vs. a string (a la OAuth), it's
meant to be retrievable as a JSON document, and it could be retrieved from
some third-party source if it's desired to reuse someone else's
standardized scope definition. You could publish whole libraries of them.

UMA was designed to enable extension wherever needed; we readily "admitted"
that if something wasn't originally thought of, JSON properties could be
added. Third-party extensions to meet such needs are easy to write.

If additional metadata describing various properties of scopes or resource
sets (such as data confidentiality levels or whatever) were desirable,
those might be good use cases for HEART defining extensions. I don't
imagine that confidentiality would be a *primary* resource set semantic,
though.

*It's up to us to figure what "grain" to make the resource sets.* FHIR goes
"all the way down" in its XML and JSON representations. I suspect HEART
need not, and can be use-case-sensitive because of our patient centricity,
but this may be the central question for us to discuss before digging in.

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
*ForgeRock Summits and UnSummits* are coming to
<http://summits.forgerock.com/> *Sydney, London, and Paris!*