[Openid-specs-heart] Updated Use Case: Patient Authorizes Clinical Research

Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare) John.Moehrke at med.ge.com
Wed Mar 9 20:53:34 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

The NIST IR 8053 is based on ISO 25237; so you have mostly the right concept.

You will also find IHE has written handbooks derived from ISO 25237 that explain how to apply the ‘process’ to a specific ‘intended use-case’ so that you get a specific set of algorithms that you would use for your intended use-case.

    http://www.ihe.net/User_Handbooks/

I am one of the co-editors of the ISO 25237 (and the IHE handbook); The new version of ISO 25237 will be referencing the IHE Handbook.

Glen’s diagram should be clear where the De-Identification happens, and that it needs to be Pseudonymization so that it can be Re-Identified… If that re-identification is needed.

The only de-identification algorithm that brings risk to zero is the one that passes ZERO data. Thus as long as some data passes there is some risk. The De-Identification process is use to design a set of algorithms that reduce the risk while still allowing the intended use-case to succeed. Sometimes this reduction is not sufficient, so the resulting data still needs to be protected. Sometimes it is…

I would be glad to help the team understand further, but I suspect that this is a diversion that is not in the scope of the HEART group.

  blog articles on the topic at http://healthcaresecprivacy.blogspot.com/p/topics.html#DEID

John