[Openid-specs-heart] CHIME Launches $1M Challenge to Solve Patient ID Problem

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Sat Jan 30 20:16:32 UTC 2016

I'm sorry to have misinterpreted your question. Your previous question to
me had to do with "1:1 vs. 1:n", not with the literal subject of the
thread, so I took your followup question to my previous response in the
same way.

If an individual patient is the resource owner, we could say something in
HEART about requiring only "three-legged" types of OAuth and OAuth-based
grant flows, that is, the grant flows other than client credentials
(although maybe that's already sufficiently implied by the nature of the
protocols?). The entire point of these flows is to enable the RO to
traverse across from the client and, "SSO-like", authenticate to the AS and
authorize the client to work with the resource server. This is why I
observe that the resulting access token, in fact, acts something like a
pairwise pseudonymous identifier between the two. (UMA uses OAuth flows to
mint the PAT and AAT and thus acts the same way.)

If a patient logs into an EHR system and that system had in place its own
capability to definitively match that patient upon onboarding that patient,
then  -- so the theory of "online individuals" goes -- further pairing of
other services with that EHR systems (e.g. if the system is an RS and it
gets paired with an AS) enables chaining of patient matching, as long as
the level of assurance is high enough in the farthest upstream source of
matching and in the authentication method of each subsequently paired
service.

Authentication strength/LOA and pairing mechanics could be a matter for
HEART profiling.

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
New ForgeRock Identity Platform <https://www.forgerock.com> with UMA support
<https://www.forgerock.com/platform/user-managed-access/> and an OpenUMA
community <https://forgerock.org/openuma/>!