[Openid-specs-heart] The Number and Ownership of Authorization Servers.

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Wed Dec 16 16:33:12 UTC 2015

Just when I thought I was out of this thread, you pull me back in. :-)

Very high-level thoughts about what users will want to do: It all depends
on availability of options. When it comes to UMA-conforming services:

   - There are zero "full-choice" (wide-ecosystem) consumer-facing AS
   options today.
   - There are zero "partial-choice" (medium-ecosystem) AS options offered
   by organizations working within an existing circle of partners, say,
   providers or payers.
   - In the next small handful of quarters, we can expect a small number of
   "no-choice" (narrow-ecosystem) AS options offered by individual
   organizations.

I believe these last will likely closely resemble the existing online
"configure your sharing preferences" UX's that users are familiar with,
adding "empowerment" features such as finer-grained access approvals (vs.
ordinary OAuth consent) only as a new kind of advanced feature available
for those special few who need/want/seek it. Part of the value of deploying
UMA by these organizations will be to enable those ecosystems to grow in
scope over time (e.g. to more easily cover partner APIs and third-party
clients), and another part of the value is to add "strategic" data
protection capabilities vs. "tactical" ones that stay only one step ahead
of regulators (see: the EU GDPR announcement of yesterday!).

Someday, it is to be hoped that individuals will have lots of market
choices of "full-choice" AS's (yes, that's the best plural I could come up
with -- sorry!). And then we will have a new set of interesting problems on
our hands regarding portability and "aggregatability" of the stuff that
resides in AS's, so that people can move between them, do analytics over
that stuff, etc.

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
Join our ForgeRock.org OpenUMA <http://forgerock.org/openuma/> community!