[Openid-specs-heart] The Number and Ownership of Authorization Servers.

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Tue Dec 15 17:37:52 UTC 2015

Eliding old text below to make the thread shorter...

Here's my reading. The phrase is a term of art originally crafted by
Adrian. It's a bit analogous to business/IT decisions about "build, buy, or
outsource", only applied to individuals' ability to be autonomous and have
sovereignty over their own lives (decisional autonomy, a key component of
privacy writ large) and data (a key component of data privacy).

*build:* Alice could literally write the AS code herself and stand up her
own service, say, under her deck at home on her own hardware, or on a
"blade server" at her ISP.
*buy:* Alice could personally invest the time to investigate and contract
with a software solution supplier and stand up her own service, again on
one of the above hardware choices.
*outsource:* Alice could survey the available AS SaaS services on the
market and choose one.

Adrian's HIE of One open-source project makes some of the above scenarios
possible.

You can imagine the layers of "terms of service" or "EULA" or whatever that
would/could apply at each level of the hardware/software/trust relationship
stack, and we wouldn't want to stick our noses into 99% of it except where
the services and apps and operators first have to "meet" at a technical
level. The UMA WG, in fact, is only sticking its nose into the UMA-specific
part of it, plus some exemplar agreements to give a flavor of what's
possible in those larger terms of service, EULAs, consent receipts, etc.
(The consent receipts might have a larger proportion of UMA-specific
content in them than the others!)

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
Join our ForgeRock.org OpenUMA <http://forgerock.org/openuma/> community!