[Openid-specs-heart] HEART Profiles - Authorization Server OAuth / UMA Clarification

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Tue Dec 8 21:27:04 UTC 2015

Below:

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
Join our ForgeRock.org OpenUMA <http://forgerock.org/openuma/> community!

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Justin Richer <jricher at mit.edu> wrote:

> We’ve discussed the redundancy of the AAT in the UMA working group, and
> we’re mandating claims gathering flows that identify and bind the RqP.
> Since we can’t cut out the AAT entirely and still remain compatible with
> UMA 1.0, this was a workaround. We also did discuss this exact workaround
> on the UMA list and/or tracker: using client_credentials to get the AAT.

I'm sorry, but much as you may wish the AAT were gone in UMA V1.0, we are
profiling UMA V1.0. Your opinion may be shared by others, but the UMA WG
has in fact tabled <https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-uma/issues/154>
the issue for the moment, and despite your well-known very strong
preferences, there is simply no official conclusion about what we might
call the "distastefulness" of the AAT.

Although the UMA V1.0.1 patch release signaled future-version directions in
a few very clear-cut, very minor cases, we did not do this with the AAT
issue because it's too massive, potentially backwards-incompatible, and
controversial. And in the meantime, the trust elevation materials I alluded
to in my message actually contribute new thinking to how a solution might
look. There is danger in moving too quickly to preconceived solutions until
we fully understand the problem space.

> I strongly believe that the requirement of a user-delegated AAT
> drastically restricts the deployability of this spec. It requires that the
> RqP have the ability to generate delegated OAuth access tokens from the AS,
> which is controlled by the RO. This simply cannot be counted on unless
> you’re in a very narrow ecosystem, and we cannot assume such an ecosystem
> as a requirement here. This recommendation keeps the syntactic
> compatibility with UMA 1.0 while making the actual protocol more sensible
> and widely deployable.
>
> Ultimately this is a recommendation in an implementer’s draft. If people
> don’t do it, then we change the recommendation.

I know what you strongly believe; you've made it clear. :-) For purposes of
our profile, have you given any thought to my suggested workaround -- or
even put thought into other workarounds until future UMA solutions might
come to the fore? My analysis of trust elevation for different ecosystems
<https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/wg-uma/wiki/UMA-Legal:-Business-Models>
seems to suggest that it's not just "very narrow" ecosystems that are
comfortable with an AAT. "Medium" ecosystems, such as with partners, can
also operate fine in this circumstance.  The "widest" type of ecosystem
does have a challenge; this is where my colleague James Philpotts together
with Mike Schwartz have been putting in some fresh thinking.

If we look at identity ecosystems by comparison, most of them live in
"narrow" and "medium" land. "Wide" is always the hardest (though I agree
with your work done at IIW
<http://iiw.idcommons.net/Burning_Bridges_and_Breaking_Brokers> in
describing the emerging technologies as dissolving the frictions that hold
wide ecosystems back), and tends to follow last.

(*N.B.:* I do not want to solve/"litigate" the AAT challenge fully here!
I'm just trying to establish that UMA1.0 constraints should not be solved
with broken recommendations in UMA1.0 profiles.)

Put plainly, I believe that to leave this recommendation in is not a fair
or proper editorial action. The text was inserted on day T minus 6 (so to
speak) after the group began its final review, did not receive a full
discussion using terms widely understood by the full group, is based on an
inaccurate reading of the spec, and reflects a highly personal view of what
the UMA version we're actually profiling "should be" versus what it is. We
have other options; I believe we should explore them.