[Openid-specs-heart] Events in UMA, FHIR, and HEART

Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare) John.Moehrke at med.ge.com
Mon Nov 9 16:59:03 UTC 2015

Hi Sarah,

Fantastic review. As the co-chair in Security that covers the FHIR specification, I want to point out a fact that you might have missed. The Provenance resource can cover any other resource, and thus can cover an AuditEvent. You pointed out that the AuditEvent doesn’t include a signature, well none of the other FHIR resources include a signature. When a signature is needed across a resource a Provenance resource is used for that purpose. There are many use-cases that call upon signatures for non-repudiation or source validation; rather than duplicate this all over the place HL7 FHIR has one special resource, the Provenance, for this purpose. Such as prescribing narcotics, authoring an observation, etc. So, when an AuditEvent needs a signature a Provenance resource would be included with a signature.  In this way FHIR is intended to be compose-able. So, an AuditEvent can be signed just like anything else.

John