[Openid-specs-heart] Principles for selecting "Vanilla" OAuth vs. UMA

Aaron Seib aaron.seib at nate-trust.org
Mon Jun 29 21:39:38 UTC 2015

Josh – I almost didn’t pick up on your bias but the parenthetical gave it away.

I almost always agree that starting with the simplest set of tools first and incrementally expanding is the best approach but the fact of the matter is that we did this with Direct and said that Direct is just Transport and the policy enforcement and representation of Patient Privacy Preferences would emerge as needed.  I think Direct has been around as a concept for three or four years now and despite widely broadcast claims to the contrary the only use cases that it is frequently used for are the simplest – like those you can solve with OAuth alone.

I am sure that there is more to consider but as a counter point to your somewhat hidden bias I would offer another veiled bias to not repeat the mistakes of the past and actually accept that someone has to solve the hard problems cause there are not that many easy ones in healthcare.

I would like to suggest that we rise to the challenge and pursue a path that will have a broader impact with this effort.  If we are just talking about transport between two trusted end points where the users already trust one another I think there is a methodology on hand to handle that.  What we need is something that can handle a little more complexity.

I will take my beatings from the community for speaking out on this issue if everyone thinks I am nuts.

Aaron Seib, CEO

(o) 301-540-2311

(m) 301-326-6843