[Openid-specs-fapi] Issue #295: Possible support for "embedded" SCA mode (openid/fapi)

Joseph Heenan joseph at authlete.com
Thu Jun 4 07:53:23 UTC 2020

I think I agree with Dave, if I’ve correctly understood his position. Some of the concepts seem similar, in particular a back channel endpoint for initiating an authorization and auth_req_id as a handle for that request and that is accepted at the token endpoint.

Expanding the existing endpoint would in some ways look similar to how an authorization is initiated in oauth.xyz <http://oauth.xyz/>.

I think the main advantage I would see to reusing parts of CIBA / extending CIBA would be that the RP/AS is in a position to be flexible. Whilst the PSD2 proponents for embedded probably don’t care about it, it gives the option for the AS to decide to run a CIBA flow /or/ an embedded flow taking advantage of extra information it has about the user about which flow is available / more likely to succeed at this point in time. I don’t think it’d be unreasonable to extend that with a response that says “nah, for this user [or in this situation where I’ve decided fraud risk is high] you’re going to have to do a redirect based flow”. It could potentially even return multiple possible methods to the RP, which could be advantageous - i.e. “here’s how you proceed with embedded flow, but actually if you’re on a mobile device and the user has an app installed that will handle <some url> then you might want to use that as there’s a 100% higher chance the flow will complete successfully”.

Joseph