[Openid-specs-fapi] Apple Pay versus FAPI/CIBA

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 08:11:57 UTC 2019

Hi [again] FAPIers,

After some off-list conversation regarding my recent posting about end-2-end security through an additional "mode" in FAPI, I feel tempted to present my conclusions even if they are at odds with the FAPI WG.

IMO, Apple has [already] set the standard for mobile payments, not only for the UI, but also for the security.  In addition, they have also contributed to a new W3C standard called Payment Request which takes their already excellent solution to the Web.

I don't see that pushing CIBA is likely to succeed (in a grand style), unless it provides qualities beyond what Apple Pay offers.  So far I have only seen "complications".

The minute "patch" I'm proposing to FAPI could potentially change the picture because it would permit A2A payments using the same kind of UI and security as offered by Apple.

Regards,
Anders
https://github.com/cyberphone/doc/blob/gh-pages/payments/dual-mode-open-banking-api.md#background