[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI - The elephant in the room

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Fri May 10 16:34:07 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-10 15:57, Dave Tonge wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow your argument.

Dear Dave et al,

Note: the following is only valid for traditional, merchant-initiated, consumer payments.  Payments as a part of financial services (banking) is another story which I have less insight in.

> 1. Mobile works fine with OAuth

 From an outside looking in position it seems that the Open Banking community as a whole has caught the "Hammer Syndrome".

If you take Apple Pay as an example it has virtually nothing in common with OAuth.

Conclusion: there are evidently quite different "Nails" out there.  Although Apple Pay builds on a dated card centric scheme, the core concept (statically provisioned account-specific authorization-keys and associated meta-data) has in no way ran out of gas. These schemes also markedly departs from FIDO since their privacy model is based on encryption rather than domain-bindings.

A showdown is looming on the horizon.

In case the FAPI WG would like to discuss this topic further, we can do that anytime.

I leave it there but feel free communicating with me off-list!

thanx,
Anders

> 2. A PISP is a lightweight technology service provider that allows a merchant to receive payments into their bank account directly from their customers bank accounts.

So does a plain-vanilla web redirect as well.

Big merchants will be their own PISPs, but many small to medium size retailers will use a PISP (or indeed their existing payments platform will become a PSIP, e.g. Ayden: https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/33411/adyen-launches-open-banking-powered-payment-method