[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI - The elephant in the room

Dave Tonge dave.tonge at momentumft.co.uk
Fri May 10 13:57:34 UTC 2019

I'm not sure I follow your argument.

1. Mobile works fine with OAuth
2. A PISP is a lightweight technology service provider that allows a
merchant to receive payments into their bank account directly from their
customers bank accounts. Big merchants will be their own PISPs, but many
small to medium size retailers will use a PISP (or indeed their existing
payments platform will become a PSIP, e.g. Ayden:
https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/33411/adyen-launches-open-banking-powered-payment-method

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 10:40, Anders Rundgren via Openid-specs-fapi <

> Dear list,
> I hope you don't get too annoyed by my sometimes slightly "deviating"
> postings.
>
> Anyway, this article
>
> https://medium.com/oauth-2/transaction-authorization-or-why-we-need-to-re-think-oauth-scopes-2326e2038948
> triggered me to once again reiterate what I consider a core problem with
> the FAPI vision.
>
> In my opinion (supported by massive amounts of real-world deployments),
> payment transaction requests are rendered and authorized on mobile devices
> which seems to be at odds with the server-centric OAuth way of doing things.
>
> It all really boils down to the question: do "Financial Services" and
> "Consumer Payments" actually benefit from using the same technology?
>
> A related question is the value of a Payment Initiation Service.  As far
> as I can see it is essentially a "firewall" between the merchant and the
> user's bank.  The need for such a firewall is not evident.
>
> I believe this part of Open Banking needs a refresh where the PIS concept
> is replaced by something else like e-money institutions issuing virtual
> payment cards.  Performing bank selection in the PIS and (optionally)
> account selection in the bank seems very fuzzy compared to simply selecting
> a card in a consistent user interface. That there is no generally accepted
> "Wallet" out there is of course a snag.
>
> thanx,
> Anders

[image: Moneyhub Enterprise]
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fmoneyhubenterprise.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGUnR5opJv5S1uZOVg8aISwPKAv3A>
Moneyhub Financial Technology, 5th Floor, 10 Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL
t: +44 (0)117 280 5120

Moneyhub Enterprise is a trading style of Moneyhub Financial Technology
Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority ("FCA"). Moneyhub Financial Technology is entered on the
Financial Services Register (FRN 809360) at fca.org.uk/register.
Moneyhub Financial
Technology is registered in England & Wales, company registration number
06909772 .
Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited 2018 ©

DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is subject to copyright,
and the information in it is confidential. Use of this email or of any
information in it other than by the addressee is unauthorised and unlawful.
Whilst reasonable efforts are made to ensure that any attachments are
virus-free, it is the recipient's sole responsibility to scan all
attachments for viruses. All calls and emails to and from this company may
be monitored and recorded for legitimate purposes relating to this
company's business. Any opinions expressed in this email (or in any
attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the
opinions of Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited or of any other group
company.