[Openid-specs-fapi] OpenID/FAPI alternative to draft-cavage-http-signatures

Dave Tonge dave.tonge at momentumft.co.uk
Fri May 10 13:02:03 UTC 2019

Hi Anders

As has been discussed previously, the cavage draft has multiple issues.
There are already JOSE based solutions to this problem.

I did a short unconference talk at OSW2019 about this issue, slides here
(excuse the typos):
https://sec.uni-stuttgart.de/_media/events/osw2019/slides/tonge_-_http_signing.pdf

While there was some interest in JSON canonicalisation, most people seemed
to think that using straight forward JWTs by themselves were the solution
to the problem.

We've agreed that FAPI should provide some sort of guidance in this area
and we have an open issue that I hope to get to soon on this.

Dave

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 07:40, Anders Rundgren via Openid-specs-fapi <

> Dear Chair & List,
>
> To me it looks close to ridiculous publicly downplaying
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cavage-http-signatures/ without
> providing an alternative.
>
> If nobody within the OpenID community is even interested in this matter,
> why the concern?
>
> Please provide a plan on how to resolve this issue, or simply accept that
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cavage-http-signatures/ is the
> de-facto standard for (at least) Open Banking.  The industry in general (as
> proven by this case) does not seems to have any major issues with de-facto
> standards.
>
> If OpenID/FAPI intend to wait another year addressing this issue, the
> de-facto status will be cemented.  Personally I see no problems if that
> would be the case.  The authors also seem open to input.
>
> sincerely,
> Anders

[image: Moneyhub Enterprise]
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fmoneyhubenterprise.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGUnR5opJv5S1uZOVg8aISwPKAv3A>
Moneyhub Financial Technology, 5th Floor, 10 Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL
t: +44 (0)117 280 5120

Moneyhub Enterprise is a trading style of Moneyhub Financial Technology
Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority ("FCA"). Moneyhub Financial Technology is entered on the
Financial Services Register (FRN 809360) at fca.org.uk/register.
Moneyhub Financial
Technology is registered in England & Wales, company registration number
06909772 .
Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited 2018 ©

DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is subject to copyright,
and the information in it is confidential. Use of this email or of any
information in it other than by the addressee is unauthorised and unlawful.
Whilst reasonable efforts are made to ensure that any attachments are
virus-free, it is the recipient's sole responsibility to scan all
attachments for viruses. All calls and emails to and from this company may
be monitored and recorded for legitimate purposes relating to this
company's business. Any opinions expressed in this email (or in any
attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the
opinions of Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited or of any other group
company.