[Openid-specs-fapi] Alive and kicking: draft-cavage-http-signatures

Philippe Leothaud philippe.leothaud at 42crunch.com
Thu Mar 14 09:17:29 UTC 2019

Hi Dave,

there is alo this one :

"If there are multiple instances of the same header field, all header field
values associated with the header field MUST be concatenated, separated by
a ASCII comma and an ASCII space `, `, and used in the order in which they
will appear in the transmitted HTTP message"

This is a real problem cause as soon as you go through a proxy/reverse
proxy the order is not guaranteed...

One example is if you want to sign the Set-Cookie header ;-)

Phil

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:56 PM Dave Tonge via Openid-specs-fapi <

> [...]
> 5. requirement on a date header in a non-standard form
> 6. requirement that http body is completely untouched or the digest will
> break
> 7. relies on the http digest spec (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3230)
> for actual content integrity
> 8. uses a custom header to pass the http method and path (but leaves out
> host?)
>
> When we are mainly talking about signing JSON API requests and responses I
> really don't think its the right way to go.
>
> I agree that it would be a good topic for discussion at the OAuth Security
> Workshop.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 17:25, Joseph Heenan via Openid-specs-fapi <
> openid-specs-fapi at lists.openid.net> wrote:
>
>> I presume the interoperability issues are solvable one way or another?
>>
>> The early reports about OBUK’s signing algorithm seem to be cautiously
>> pessimistic. I’m not sure if OB gave any reasons for not using the IETF
>> cavage draft.
>>
>> I know we’ve discussed it before, but it does seem like the FAPI working
>> group should try and favour one standard, which would also allow us to
>> build interoperability/certification tests for that standard. I think the
>> oauth working group feels similarly. Justin Richer pulled together some of
>> the thoughts at IETF 101 (
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/slides-101-oauth-sessa-http-signing-00
>> ) but I’m not sure if the conversation moved on from there.
>>
>> Perhaps it’s one to put on the agenda for the oauth security workshop
>> face-to-face?
>>
>> Joseph
>>

>> On 13 Mar 2019, at 16:15, Dave Tonge via Openid-specs-fapi <
>> openid-specs-fapi at lists.openid.net> wrote:
>>
>> Having integrated against it - the draft is terrible.
>>
>> I highly doubt that it is being implemented in an interoperable way.
>>
>> We need a better solution and I'm very much in favour of JSON based
>> signatures - cleartext json would be great, but detached JWTs are still a
>> lot better than http-signatures.
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 16:41, Anders Rundgren via Openid-specs-fapi <
>> openid-specs-fapi at lists.openid.net> wrote:
>>
>>> After posting
>>> https://cyberphone.github.io/ietf-signed-http-requests/hotrfc-shreq.pdf
>>> in the https://open-banking-global.slack.com forum it became clear that
>>> quite a bunch of API builders in the financial sector (including Starling)
>>> indeed have settled on
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cavage-http-signatures-10.
>>>
>>> Under those circumstances it seems a bit premature suggesting that other
>>> entities should not use it.  That a draft has expired doesn't make it
>>> worthless.
>>>
>>> What's surprising is that I found no traces of any discussions within
>>> the IETF regarding this draft (which IMO doesn't look that bad).
>>>
>>> Note: I'm not advocating for adoption of http-signatures, but for a more

>>> Anders