[Openid-specs-fapi] Withdrawal and Deposit use-case schema

Nat Sakimura nat at sakimura.org
Wed Dec 12 00:31:43 UTC 2018

Hi

I have a question from my ATM team regarding the withdrawal and the
deposit use-case schema. It deals with ATMs and prepaid cards as PISPs.

They are considering APIs for these use-cases and considering using the
UK Open Banking's Payment API as follows:

Withdrawal
-----------------
* DebtorAccount <-- The account of the PSU
* CreditorAccount <-- The account of the PISP (e.g., an ATM network)

Deposit
-----------------
* DebtorAccount <-- The account of the PISP (e.g., an ATM network)
* CreditorAccount <-- The account of the PSU

     Note: They are looking at the version 1.1.0.

Q.1 Is the above within the target scope of the Open Banking?

Q.2 If not, do you have plans to create the API specs that take care of
the withdrawal and the deposit use-case?

Q.3 When some of the participating parties take fee during the Payment,
how is it dealt in the API context? Are there going to be a separate
Payment for the fee associated with the main transaction?

During the FAPI call (Pacific) today, we talked about it in the US
context and I found that the situation is very different than in Japan.
In Japan, we have started the instant payment back in 1973 so that is
the norm here, which means that there is no "taking the risk of the
transaction not clearing" while it seemed it is the case in the US.
Naturally, the API model then will be different. I was wondering what
would be the situation in the context of the UK Open Banking.

Best,

--
Nat Sakimura
Research Fellow, Nomura Research Institute