[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI Profile and openid scope value

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Wed Aug 1 09:07:30 UTC 2018

Hi Dave,

> Am 01.08.2018 um 06:44 schrieb Dave Tonge <dave.tonge at momentumft.co.uk>:
>
>  I don't think it would make sense for a client to sometimes request a response type of `signed_code` and sometimes request a response type of `code id_token`, as Nat says that seems to be conflating things.

I agree.

What about always using the new response type?

For API access authorization, the client would request

GET /authorise?responseType=signed_code&
client_id=s6BhdRkqt3&
redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fclient%2Eexample%2Ecom%2Fcb&
scope=pis:f0bbf1fd-2857-4e1b-a403-9fd1dc171183&
state= S8NJ7uqk5fY4EjNvP_G_FtyJu6pUsvH9jsYni9dMAJw&
nonce=n-0S6_WzA2Mj HTTP/1.1
Host: accounts.example-bank.com

whereas for identity federation it would just request with another scope value

GET /authorise?responseType=signed_code&
client_id=s6BhdRkqt3&
redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fclient%2Eexample%2Ecom%2Fcb&
scope=openid%20email%20profile&
state= S8NJ7uqk5fY4EjNvP_G_FtyJu6pUsvH9jsYni9dMAJw&
nonce=n-0S6_WzA2Mj HTTP/1.1
Host: accounts.example-bank.com <http://accounts.example-bank.com/>

In the latter example, the client would obtain the ID Token from the token endpoint using the authorization code.

Kind regards,
Torsten.

PS: I created a tracker issue for my proposal.