[Openid-specs-fapi] HSBC first UK bank to take advantage of OpenBanking?

Joseph Heenan joseph at authlete.com
Wed Oct 4 09:31:36 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Just thought this may be of interest to the list:

http://www.about.hsbc.co.uk/~/media/uk/en/news-and-media/rbwm/170928-hsbc-uk-takes-first-step-into-open-banking.pdf <http://www.about.hsbc.co.uk/~/media/uk/en/news-and-media/rbwm/170928-hsbc-uk-takes-first-step-into-open-banking.pdf>

More details and screenshots here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-4925614/HSBC-s-Beta-app-allowing-customers-link-accounts.html <http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-4925614/HSBC-s-Beta-app-allowing-customers-link-accounts.html>

I believe HSBC is the first large UK bank to publicly state it'll be launching an app that uses the OpenBanking APIs.

Confusingly though, it says it will support 21 financial institutions - this sounds like significantly more than have committed to providing APIs. I can only guess that they must be using a hybrid API and screen scraping model.

(The app also looks like it will be a significantly better experience than using HSBC's current app to access HSBC accounts, so I guess the CMA are definitely winning the argument that forcing the release of APIs will drive innovation!)

Cheers,

Joseph