[Openid-specs-fapi] Question regarding JWS alg in FAPI part 2, read and write security profile

Nat Sakimura nat at sakimura.org
Thu Jul 20 08:47:56 UTC 2017

Hi Sascha,

This came up during the WG calls as well.

The short answer is that there are several attacks identified for
RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 while PSS padding is safe. Cryptographer's opinion is
that RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 should be retired.

We agreed in the WG call to add RS256 as a permissible algorithm when
HSM is used and the HSM in place does not support PS256 or ES256 in the
final but has to be done in the way that it does not raise a red flag
from the cryptographers. Please see
https://bitbucket.org/openid/fapi/issues/101/jws-signature-algorithms-for-rw.

Best,

---
Nat Sakimura
Research Fellow, Nomura Research Institute