[Openid-specs-fapi] Fwd: Fwd: OPEN BANKING LAUNCHES ACCOUNT INFORMATION & PAYMENT INITIATION API SPECIFICATIONS

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Mon Jul 10 12:50:38 UTC 2017

I'm sure this isn't the right forum for feedback but I suspect there are Open
Banking folks on the FAPI list. And, after a quickish read through
https://www.openbanking.org.uk/read-write-apis/account-trans
action-api/v1-0-0/ and https://www.openbanking.org.
uk/read-write-apis/payment-initiation-api/v1-0-0/ I feel compelled to give
some feedback - at least in the small area that I know something about.

The example content and code in the black boxes around JWS is rather
problematic. This isn't an exhaustive list but encoding seems wrong (base64
vs. base64url) and/or incorrectly applied (shouldn't be encoding the HTTP
body with the RFC 7797 b64 header set to false) and encryption/decryption
is mentioned in the computing/verifying signature parts - which I guess
might be right for some RSA schemes but there's more to it than that and it
certainly isn't generally applicable with JWS / RFC 7515. There's an empty
alg value in a sample JOSE header and the x-jws-signature headers aren't
valid at all (so much so it's probably intentional).

Sorry for the random critique email spam. But I'm hopeful maybe it'll be
seen by someone that will be able to do something useful with it.