[OpenID-Specs-eKYC-IDA] nationalities vs citizenships

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Thu May 13 10:13:19 UTC 2021

Hi all,

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:39:35AM +0200, Torsten Lodderstedt via Openid-specs-ekyc-ida wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> interesting question ;-) We had a long discussion about nationality and
> nationalities in the early days of eKYC. The consensus was that a person
> can indeed have more than one nationally. That’s why we made it an array.
>
> Because you raised the question, I just looked it up as well and it seems
> nationally can be used to designate both: the country where you were born
> as well as the citizenship with a country granted to a person.

Out of curiosity, how does that work for temporary residents in
countries like The Netherlands or Finland where citizenship goes via
that of the parents and not via that of the country of birth. For
example, if someone with Dutch parents is born in Finland, the child
only gets Dutch citizenship and a Dutch passport. Are you saying they
can also claim Finish nationality?

Best wishes,
Mischa