[OpenID-Specs-eKYC-IDA] place_of_birth vs. birthplace

Achim Schlosser achim.schlosser at enid.eu
Wed Feb 19 18:44:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

as noted in the ticket I would be in favor of changing it to birthplace - excerpt:

"Revisiting this after the call - a good argument why this should be changed:

- ICAO 93.3 (part 3) does use the wording “Place of birth“, having that said ICAO 93.3 also uses “Date of birth“ in its definition.
OIDC core (https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#ClaimsContents) defines birthdate instead of “Date of birth“ (which poses a similar question)
- From an OIDC perspective the use of birthplace seems to the sensible choice in term of consistency of the overall specification, using a different “syntax“ here looks rather strange"

"Putting it side by side (from the claims / evidence ticket) "claims":["birthdate","place_of_birth"] makes the point obvious"

Breaking change is a separate concern naturally, but from a  pure specification perspective I'd change it. This is one of the things you will look back to (in case it's not changed) asking why this is handled differently than birthdate as per core spec, it's not a large topic thought having that said as its of course just syntactic sugar.

Best

Achim

On 19.02.20, 17:20, "Openid-specs-ekyc-ida on behalf of Torsten Lodderstedt via Openid-specs-ekyc-ida" <openid-specs-ekyc-ida-bounces at lists.openid.net on behalf of openid-specs-ekyc-ida at lists.openid.net> wrote:

    Hi all,

    we haven an open ticket (https://bitbucket.org/openid/ekyc-ida/issues/1119/place_of_birth-birthplace) and an open PR (https://bitbucket.org/openid/ekyc-ida/pull-requests/3) to change the name of the claim place_of_birth to birthplace.

    From the discussions in the recent WG calls I perceive a tendency to not do this change for the following reasons:

    - it’s a breaking change. Given there are real implementations of OIDC4IDA out in the wild, this will require really compelling reasons and a concept for version management (which we do not have now).
    - A comparison with the terminology used by ICAO 93.3 (part 3) - basis for representation of data at/in official travel documents - revealed that ICAO uses place of birth.

    I would like to get your opinion on how to proceed.

    What do you think? Shall we (1) close the ticket and PR OR shall we (2) perform the change.

    thanks in advance,
    Torsten.