<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang="EN-US" link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72" style="word-wrap:break-word">
<div class="WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal">Spec Call Notes 17-May-21<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Mike Jones<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Justin Richer<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Nat Sakimura<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Kristina Yasuda<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">David Waite (DW)<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Vittorio Bertocci<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Adam Lemmon<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Edmund Jay<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Jeremie Miller<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Tom Jones<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Tobias Looker<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Tony Nadalin<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Pamela Dingle<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">OpenID Connect for W3C Verifiable Credential Objects<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              <a href="http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/attachments/20210505/a198527a/attachment-0001.pdf">
http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/attachments/20210505/a198527a/attachment-0001.pdf</a><o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              The working group is still holding the adoption discussion<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Torsten gave a presentation on the draft and its goals<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           The goal to make OpenID Connect the first choice for W3C Verifiable Presentations<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Interoperability across existing and new deployments<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Uses "claims" request parameter<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Request syntax can request one of two delivery vehicles<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         As a claim and as a new "vp_token" artifact<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Draft makes no breaking changes to OpenID Connect<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Can be used with SIOP V2 (examples are included)<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           There's conceptual similarities to Claims Aggregation but the mechanisms are completely different<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Like Presentation Exchange, there is a request syntax<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         Integration of Presentation in a developer-friendly manner is future work<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           The proposal is to adopt the draft separately while coordinating closely to align it with Claims Aggregation<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           An intermediate OP is an conceptual artifact common to both models<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         But Torsten sees the details as being quite different<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           People thanked Torsten for the clear presentation<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tony asked about how to determine the presentation type<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         Torsten said that you'd use the credential type field<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         Torsten said that they aren't defining a new data model<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         Kristina said that Verifiable Presentations have a mandatory type field<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Nat asked if people have severe concerns with adoption<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tony said that he's concerned with the potential overlap<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Nat said that the editors of the two drafts would work closely to align them<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           And the editors would jointly create an architectural whitepaper<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         The editors of both drafts agreed to do that<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tony asked whether the draft would require @context processing<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tobias said that the processing rules defined by the W3C spec would apply<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Justin agreed<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Nat said the technical details could be worked out post adoption<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Nat asked Tom his view<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tom didn't object to people adopting and building the spec, but he's not personally interested in it<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tom is more interested in working on making connections between RPs and Wallets<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Nat called consensus for adoption<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Mike agreed that we have consensus<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Mike asked Kristina, Torsten, etc. to check the source into bitbucket.org/openid/connect<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Claims Aggregation Draft<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Kristina noticed that the draft has added the ability to have a _claim_sources as a Verifiable Presentation<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Nat said that this is in a branch, to facilitate discussion<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                                         <a href="https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/pull-requests/17">
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/pull-requests/17</a><o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tobias said that that another possible claims format is Mobile Driver's License (MDL)<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tobias said that there's a lot of conceptual overlap<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           But Nat said that there are issues with extending claims formats<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           For instance, there's a mandatory member called "jwt"<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Mike said that we should do what makes engineering sense<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Nat said that we need to think about usage of "sub"<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Mike said that we will need clear security guidance on when "sub" must and must not be included, and why<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">MDL Discussion Initiated by Tom<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tom asked about creating a JWT representation of MDLs<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tony said that it's currently in CWT format<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tom hopes to have this by mid-June<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">                           Tom wants to get it through DHS<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tobias talked about claims hashes, which can be binary in CBOR<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tom wants to be able to use a MDL JWT representation with OpenID Connect<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tom said that he would write an MDL JWT draft and send it to Tony and Kristina<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Tony said that a lot of this is already in an Annex in the MDL spec<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              Kristina is sending draft comments on the MDL spec soon<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Open Issues<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              <a href="https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issues?status=new&status=open">
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issues?status=new&status=open</a><o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              We ran out of time to get to this<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Next Calls<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal">              The next regular Connect call is scheduled for Thursday, May 20th at 7am Pacific Time<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>