[Openid-specs-ab] Issue #1167: Required certification behaviour for request and request_uri parameters (openid/connect)

josephheenan issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Tue May 12 08:53:03 UTC 2020

New issue 1167: Required certification behaviour for request and request_uri parameters
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issues/1167/required-certification-behaviour-for

Joseph Heenan:

I’m unclear how to interpret this section of [https://openid.net/wordpress-content/uploads/2018/06/OpenID-Connect-Conformance-Profiles.pdf](https://openid.net/wordpress-content/uploads/2018/06/OpenID-Connect-Conformance-Profiles.pdf) :

![](https://bitbucket.org/repo/y86Mgrg/images/2394814636-Screenshot%202020-05-12%20at%2009.46.12.png)
In particular what “no err” means, given this text in the standard:

> Support for the `request` parameter is OPTIONAL. The `request_parameter_supported` Discovery result indicates whether the OP supports this parameter. Should an OP not support this parameter and an RP uses it, the OP MUST return the `request_not_supported` error.

The possible interpretations \(for a server that doesn’t support request objects\) seem to be:

1. The server can ignore anything in the request object and continue with the request
2. The server must return an error if it’s not going to process the request object

The current certification requests appear to allow ‘1' for this case, but I’m not sure why. It appears to directly conflict with the text in the standard. I’m not clear what “no err” in the certification profile was intended to mean though.

It seems that in the wild some currently certified implementations do follow '1'.